Sunday, July 25, 2010

Why Build a Sail Boat Anyway?

This is an important question, and one with an obvious answer: Don't build one, buy a cheap used boat. I do however have a rousing internal argument on this subject that seems never ending. So, I'll hit the high points, and accept criticism as it comes.

The first reason to build, or excessively remodel a boat rather than buy a usable one is understanding. To truly understand a machine, you must be familiar with its systems and structure. As boats become larger, and more complex, this becomes more necessary, and more difficult. The rig of a sail boat is, by definition, exposed. You can see it; where each line begins, travels and terminates. The shape of the sail; changing through points of sail and wind conditions. However, this is only half of the equation. Hull design is critical to performance. Once you take into account the fact that minor alterations in either the hull or the rig can dramatically increase of decrease performance, the possibilities of performance achieved through different combinations increase exponentially.

My head is spinning, and we've not even breached the subject of auxiliary propulsion. I'm actually going to ignore it accept to say; purist or not, a boat is about getting somewhere. I must have at least one additional mode of propulsion, rowing is acceptable.

The second reason to build a boat is the boat's purpose. With some exceptions production sail boats a made for cruising (charter cruising), or some variation of that, racing or some variation, or day sailing or some variation. Boats of yore were built to fulfil a specific need. In our splendid modern time you can by a replica of a boat of yore. You can expect it to be lighter, stronger and safer than it's historical counterpart. But, you cannot expect your needs to coincide with a Gloucester Dory fisherman, or a Chesapeake Bay Oyster man. To build a boat is to create something to meet a need. The shame of boat ownership is that most of us don't need to or want to or have the cash to live a chartered lifestyle for months at a time. Living aboard is a lifestyle to aspire to, but those boats, like people's dogs, begin to morph into the design of their owners. This failure of purpose in boats leads directly to the common sentiment that boats are a waste of money and time.

So, I want to build a boat that does the following. It needs to be safe and stable. I have a wife and a child and I cannot compromise on this. (Oh, right, I shouldn't have to compromise, I'm going custom). I would like to avoid reefing and reasonable discomfort up to 18 knots and three foot chop. It needs to have a self bailing cockpit, and any enclosure must be watertight. Bilge pumps are unacceptable(ok maybe solar). The only drawback to my current craft is that she cannot set in a slip, rain will sink her. The boat must be trailerable. It needs to have the option to be single handed. There must be a shelter from the sun for the wee babe, and perhaps afford enough privacy for any co-ed restroom requirements, in a bucket of course. She must look and be built to last, as I'd like the security of knowing that I could recover at least half of my investment. The cockpit should comfortable seat six. Draft cannot exceed twelve inches. Center boards or dagger boards are fine.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to knock out the whole shootin' match for under ten grand.

Has anyone seen this boat, or must I accept my fate? Build, probably over-run my budget, spend more time than I want grinding glass to try, unsuccessfully, to stay in budget, and have to work so much to pay the damn thing off that I don't spend any time sailing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment