Thursday, July 29, 2010

Shifting Gears

I can barely type because my hands are so cramped. The economic downturn has fostered some new developments at work. I could go into to it, but in short, and insensitively, lots of people have been layed off, there are less projects, and less people to do them. So I spend less time on the phone, and more time with a hammer. I cannot complain, I prefer actually doing things, to spending time on the phone trying to convince other people to do them for money. However, as resident jack-of-all-trades, I can get into a pretty precarious position.

Today for example. I demoed a bathroom, and framed an outside shower. Satisfying, quantifiable work. Enjoyed it. I also, placed a couple warranty orders, and checked on a defective door. Then I picked up some material and headed home. At home, I was greeted by a smiling UPS box filled with auto parts for my special lady friend's car, a volvo, in case you haven't heard.

I'm not one to walk away from a challenge, and to tell you the truth, I'm terrified of this software basted vehicle. Every repair requires a software update. New wiper blades . . . software update! Anyway, I got right into it. I love working on cars, and I love building stuff, but today, I was faced with a serious problem. I'd been stripping a bathroom most of the day. Pounding on a crowbar, extensive use of a reciprocating saw, I think there might have even been a sledge hammer in there. All of the sudden I had to wedge myself into the passenger's floor boards and remove six tiny hard-to-reach screws (torx drive, of course). The last one was a real bitch, and the crux of it was, I just couldn't get my thumb and forefinger to do what I wanted.

There was this massive cramp in the pad of my hand. Not the debilitating, I can't move it cramp, but he debilitating I look like a loser that's never held a tool before cramp.

I'm not sure why I've said all of this. Do I wonder if it's ok to shift gears like this. I obviously vote yes. Am I looking for pity? I don't think so. I guess I'm just looking for tips. There is a phrase jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none. I don't believe in that. I work in the trades. They are difficult, honorable, and interesting. But, they are not impossible, or all that mysterious. To be a jack-of-all-trades, and master of them all is possible, it just requires being comfortable with shifting gears. . . . and maybe a hand massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment