Friday, July 23, 2010

Daniel Schorr Has Passed

I imagine when noting the passing of a ninety three year old man, it's hard to register shock, or really sadness, for his sake anyway. As far as shock goes, it's relatively shocking because I heard him just last Saturday on Weekend Edition,and I was looking forward to hearing him tomorrow, as Quinn and I lounged on the couch. I won't hear him tomorrow, and that is shocking, and disappointing, if not sad.

He reported the news well; admirable but not particularly note worthy. The thing that fascinated me about his commentary was not his wit, though it was sharp, or his opinions, with which I sometimes disagreed. He was simply thoughtful, and very astute. He was interesting, insightful, and responsible. He was wise, and humorous. Also, he was very old.

I will never be a famous news analyst. No one is looking forward to hearing what I have to say this weekend. I have however admired Dan Schorr for quite a while. His composure, mind, and delivery were an inspiration. Who knows how long I will live? So rather than muse that at ninety three I'd like to be as well put together as Dan Schorr. Whether or not there is ever a microphone present, I'll just continue working towards that goal now.

No comments:

Post a Comment