Friday, July 30, 2010

Major Personal Victory

I'm proud to report that my speacial lady friend's car now has a variable speed AC fan. Until tonight, it had been malfunctioning, and only operating on low.

After pouring over Volvo forums, and hemming and hawing with parts guys, I took a deep breath, and took the plunge. I bought a part, sight unseen, had it UPSed and got under way with no hope of a software rescue.

Success. The Volvo is not a mystery, it's a car, a complicated car, but a car. Say the Volvo is like one of those movies where everyone is afraid of some bad-ass warrior villian (car), and they are all starting to think he's superhuman. Then along comes the dynamic brave savior of the village (me!), and wounds the bad-ass warrior and says, "see I made him bleed, he's only human." Then the village (Wife and maybe six month old daughter, though I'm not sure she's seen any of those movies)regains hope that perhaps the monster can be bested, by the hero(me, again).

Well, we are at that point. I've drawn blood. I've replaced the plugs, cleaverly hidden behind armor--ok it was just a plastic cover plate. I've fixed the fan motor resistor, a bona-fide electronic component. I've not slayed the dragon yet, but we are becomeing friends, or at least equal nemesees.

I'm going to take a stab at the sun-roof tracks next!

No comments:

Post a Comment