Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Did I Say That Out Loud?!

I'm left handed, and my mobile phone was clearly designed for a right handed person. Closing my phone with my left hand invariably drags my index finger right over the speaker button on the side of the phone. Thus, when I think I'm hanging up and putting my phone in my pocket, I'm actually closing my phone and turning the microphone on. For normal calls, it's no biggie, because the other person hangs up. No harm no foul. However, if I'm leaving a message, and I inadvertently leave my phone on after closing it. Some of even my more favored associates very clearly get a pleasant call me back when you can message, punctuated by an expletive laden, "never answers the f$$$ing phone," rant.

We all have an inner monologue. We entertain ourselves with it. We use it as a free zone for shaping our opinions of others, and we all do it. Even the nice old ladies, or especially the nice old ladies, at my parent's church that seem to have nothing but adoration for me have an inner monologue. It's probably complete with--oh I don't even want to think about it.


The United States Department of State has been struggling for the last couple weeks to do damage control because it's internal monologue has been published on the Internet. Wikileaks, may be doing something good, or something bad. It's debatable. Though, I tend to error on the side of promoting free speech.

As far as information endangering the lives of individuals named in documents. That's really a different issue in my mind. That seems to be an issue of integrity. If you are the U.S.--if not the popularity powerhouse you once were at the lunch table--you have substantial resources. If intelligence assets are indeed valuable, protect them. If not, don't publish useless comment and names, in Diplomatic Cables.

And in the end integrity is the issue. With my phone on in my pocket, I've made some regrettable comments. True friends and associates have taken it in stride, and, like some in the diplomatic community, quipped that I should hear what they say about me!. Others have been irreparably offended. But I didn't really like them, and they didn't really like may. Of course foreign policy is more complex than social interaction. Or is it . . .

In the end civility, and tact give way to reality. I'm not saying that I don't support civility and tact. Civility keeps us from sounding like jackasses. However, my sense is that, to some degree we are all jackasses. But we live in a global society, with a global economy. And in commerce Jackasses are welcome. Not to belabor the metaphor, but mules are ornery but useful. Most members of the "international community"--a euphemism for countries that bitch to their spouses about how the neighborhood has gone down the tubes--are useful mules. We've got our orneriness, but we are moving forward.

That said, there are genuine bad actors in the metaphorical neighborhood. Iran, North Korea etc. And disparaging comments about bad actors are no surprise. Additionally--that which seems so embarrassing but has been obvious all along,--some of the good mules might go slummin' on the town with bad actors every now and again. But just like neighborhood dynamics: When you live back in the Cul-de-Sac with the classy families (U.S., Europe, Canada) it's easy to castigate the families closer to the highway (Turkey, Saudi Arabia) for making nice with their neighbors (Iran) for a common goal (gettin' that speed bump put in to slow traffic entering the neighborhood...or slowing settlement building in Palestine).

It's not like China doesn't have a Noble Peace Prize winner in prison, and I'm pretty sure 95% of my child's toys came from China.

The metaphors are really getting too complicated for me to keep straight now. It's like I'm about to compare Vladimir Putin to an alpha dog or something . . . So, suffice it to say, when your internal monologue is out there for the world to read, the best you can do is come off like a mule. Hard working, useful, opinionated and ornery. Then all of your friends can look at who you really are, see you have value and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment