Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Satisfaction in a House

I'm lucky this year. Two of the houses I'm working on are actually going to be occupied by the clients I'm working for. I live in a resort area, so most of my work goes into rental programs. It's work, but that's all, it pays the bills.

This year, I'm doing one remodel for a guy who actually live in the place full time. We've transformed his pretty ridiculous, bullshit contemporary man cave into a passable living space. The fact that it is ocean front doesn't hurt. But, he's failed to recognize that the client is a player in the build, been slow to make decisions, when he made them at all, and is not too happy with the project.

The other project is a summer residence for the family of a successful couple. They seem like typical upper-middle-class Americans. But, they are really nice, polite, engaged, and excited. Their deadline is a little tight, ok, it's completely unreasonable. But, I like them, and I want to make their dreams come true. And, in fact, that is what we are doing. They bought a neglected house. They want it to be transformed into a summer getaway that they can really enjoy.

I turned the corner today. I've been let down by my flooring contractor, they've complicated a schedule that didn't need to be complicate, but this is life. The tile showers are not finished. They won't be finished in time for the cleaners to do their work. But, on Friday, I will be there, I will tie up the loose ends, and the clients will arrive. Hopefully, I'll be home with my family when they arrive. IF I'm not, they will tell me to go home, because they have kids, and respect that I have a wife and child.

Today, though, as I was sweeping, I realized something. I love that moment. When, the pandemonium of meeting a deadline is all around me, but I can sweep a floor, or wipe down a bathroom. Or, have the appliaces running, for the first time. It may not be perfect, but it will be done. It will be painted, the materials will have been placed, by talented craftsmen. The clients will have questions, concerns, requests, and I will gladly accomidate, because they will be content. They will be impressed. They will be proud of the decision to rennovate.

Remodeling is a huge pain in the ass, but. . . There is something magical about that swept but not yet mopped wood floor. The immaculate kitchen hiding under the thin veil of contractor detritus. As much as I hate to admit it. There is even something magical about the last time I move that pile of personal belongings that was not important enough to remove, and will probably be discarded, for the last time. I'll stack it neatly in the corner of a bedroom, and be glad to be rid of it, but be so happy to have the house organized.

At the end, I can see some value in what I do. Bringing something to a conclusion. So much of what we value today occupies the realm of ideas, or services. At the end of a job, I'm happy to have created something. It's not art, but it is craft, and I find that satisfying.

Fortunately, while scrambling to finish this job, I've been starting another. Today was little hectic as rain threatened all day while I tried to will an addition's shingles to completion. I lucked out, it's dried in, and the rest is details, and soon, I'll be sweeping those floors. It's another summer home. A hard won summer home, after decades of rentals, hard work, and hard won retirement. These clients are intense, but would really like to have their house ready for their daughters wedding. I'd really like to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment