Tuesday, February 2, 2010

This One's Gonna Be A Rambler . . .

Today's addition of The Story, with Dick Gordon, on WUNC our local NPR station www.wunc.org , got me to thinking. He did a spot about a kid that was going to grad-school at Duke, living in a van to try to avoid debt. Now, the kid is getting a masters in Liberal Studies. So, I question his value of the dollars he's not trying to owe. Don't get me wrong, a Liberal Arts Education adds value to your life. But that implies that you already have some value. Matt Damon put it pretty well in Good Will Hunting, about the late fees at the library and all. Anyway, gotta stay away from that. The real issue I got to thinking about is debt.

An acquaintance of mine, that I'm pretty sure is a total jackass, says that "Debt makes the world go round." Actually he's an idiot, for other reasons. But, I think he's wrong on the debt thing too. Credit makes the world go round, debt just makes you go to work whether you want to or not.

That's the real issue for me. I love to work. Love it. Do it all weekend long. Haulin' my Sanford and Son load to the recyclers, planting and working the garden, fixin' the car, motorctcle, boat, adding on to all three when nothing is wrong with them. Then there's the writing which I wish payed even .00000000001 cents a word. I could probably even stand my day job for about three days a week. Fact is I miss it when I'm on vacation. But. I go every day!! because I have a mortgage. As much as I would love gardening, recycling, and various other sundry activities to pay the bills, they don't. So, I diligently and efficiently build, and or remodel gigantic vacation homes, for a great living. The work is interesting, the pay is great. But, it loses something, because I have to do it.

Does credit, and the resultant debt make the world go round? I live pretty simply, by American standards anyway. Once the baby gets here, I believe I will even be going vegetarian. But I dream, and I dream big. The Outer Banks is on sale right now, big time, and it is everything I can do to keep myself from mortgaging the rest of my soul to buy whatever of it I can. Not because I want to sell it for a ton of money later either. I love it here, and I want to be a part of it and preserve it, but that takes money-someone else's money-for the promise that I will keep going to work. Doing something that is interesting, but that I really cannot get into with all of my heart.

So, I'm torn. Borrow and realize one dream: The family spot with a place for my parents to retire, and for me to grow all kinds of stuff. Build the dream sustainable shack etc etc. Or dream two: Admit that housing, in the Western sense, cannot be greened, no matter how hard you try. Sell the house, buy the boat, and check out. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. How about a flotilla of house boats? Perhaps you could create a way to tow along some gardens and a chicken coop. Family estate with retired parents, self sufficiency and the open water all rolled into one. Bingo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely go for the house boats. Just be careful not to drift into the great pacific garbage patch. I just read about it and it's really depressing. A floating garbage patch that's twice the size of Texas. Living on a house boat in the pacific garbage patch would be just like living in east Los Angeles. You don't want any part of it.

    Marc, I think we both know that we're going to be working like dogs until we retire at the age of 75. With that in mind, let me ask you this. Wouldn't it be worth to start another band and record an album with the hope that we'll write one gigantic hit song that will pay for the rest of our live? We just need to find a singer. Let me know what you think.

    BTW, we found out that we're having a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would sooner live in the garbage patch than work 'till age 75, though it may be unavoidable. The band idea is a good one. Though, my singing is the only thing that has improved. MY guitar skills on the other hand, totally suck. So, if you can write the songs and play them. I'll wear tight leather pants and sing them. Even in the studio, I think the leather pants really set the tone. Even if the studio is your living room. If you wanna be a rockstar, you gotta live like one.

    We should give it a shot. And, by the way, I think the gender announcement requires a phone call. So, you'll be hearing from me
    Marc

    ReplyDelete