Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spirituality as a house

I've been reading two pretty interesting books. "Cathedral of The World", By Myron Arms, and "The Language of God", by Francis Collins. They address spirituality through the metaphor/method of sailing and science respectively. I admit, I've always dreamed of being a non-fiction writer that might somehow relate my life experience into some sort of compelling greater truth. I wish I related to these writers.

In contrast, my life revolves around the process of building houses, not the cosmospiritualpolitical principles I wish it did.

However, as I ponder the process, or rather the "critical path" of home construction, I see a valuable metaphor for the spiritual journey.

How could the steps involved in the creation of a house relate to humanity's efforts to understand itself through the construction/realization of a deity? My contention is that spiritual seeking and house construction share two key characteristics. Both require hard work, plain and simple. And, both are aided by, but not subject to a process--a critical path.

For home building, you select a plan. In religion a church, a tradition, or the rejection of these. In a town you build a house, subject to building codes, and architectural review. In a faith you choose a church/tradition, or you forge out on your own. In building you trust tried and true design; the Cape Cod, the ranch. In faith, the Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Hindu tradition. Or not.

Then the home must be constructed. There are steps that relate to and depend on one another, but they are not hard and fast. Adjustments can be made. The only certainty is that there must be discipline. Dispatch is important. The process must progress reasonably, but allowances may be made for failure.

As in faith. We can follow a route well trod, or forge out alone in search of something new. To make it a valuable project we must apply reason, discipline, thought, and most importantly, hard work to the project.

Why are we drawn to see a metaphorical connection between life's large and small questions? Can an understanding of the development of the modern construction of shelter, aid in the understanding of the timeless construct of meaning. I hope so. And I wonder what one tells us about the other. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment